Honey to the Bee

Friday, October 3, 2008

What a month September was!!!



I know we are now in October, but I thought it would be good to catch everyone up on what's happenning here. September started out just fine. I started voluteering at the elementary school in both Amber and Clairese's classrooms. I read stories in Clairese's class on Mondays and Tuesday thru Friday I'm in Amber's class swapping out kindergartener's homework and helping with crowd control during math at the beginning of the day. I say crowd control because there are 26 kids in her class. That's a lot of 5-6 year olds first thing. She has a great teacher who just happens to be our Stake Camp Director. Tom says not to get too friendly! Ha! Too late. Katelyn has had a temporary substitute this quarter because her teacher just had a baby right before school started. If she needs help too I think I'll cry! Don't get me wrong, I'm lovin' helping out, but I don't think I'll ever finish unpacking the house if I do.

Speaking of the house, no I still haven't unpacked everything yet. The family room looks like we are going to move out soon, because that was the best place to set boxes. I'm determined to de-junk as I go so it may take a while to get it done. I've found boxes that we didn't open at the last house. So I try to go through one a week. I know that sounds lazy but this last month was a little crazy. I have found things like old valances that we hadn't used before and are getting to use now. The french doors have curtain rods at the top but not at the bottom so I used the non-matching Battenburg lace valances that my mom didn't use in her new house. They are just close enough that unless you really look at them they look the same! The sewing room is a dream though. It really pays to have a husband that sews! He modified the dinig room, that we had no table for, into the sewing room by building me a wall mount counter for the sewing machines and a standing island with an Olfa cutting mat inlaid in the countertop!! It's snug but soooo nice to not have to put up and down banquet tables anymore!

On about the 15th of the month I was helping Clairese finish homework at the kitchen table when she said,"Mom a Seagull just landed on Katelyn's head!" To which I replied, "There are not Seagulls in Arizona!" I thought she had a great imagination until Katelyn came in from the pool and said,"Mom! A Macaw just landed on my head and I shook it off and it landed on the pool noodle!" This strangely seemed more plausible than what Clairese had said but still a little wierd to be happening, so I told them I would go look. Not a Seagull, not a Macaw, but a cockatiel was sitting on the noodle drinking water from the pool!!! I tried to reach for the noodle and it flew onto the deck. Being the profesional bird wrangler that I am, I reached down with both hands and picked it up before the dog could get to it. Usually this would be where I say the bird bit me, but this one was pretty nice and let me carry it into the house. Tom was out of town so I knew it could stay for a day or two. The dog, who had a sore on his head, thought this was not bad for mom to "fetch" a bird and wanted some of the action! I quickly started looking around to see what I could use for a cage. Two milk crates and a big piece of nylon screen later we had a make shift bird cage and a lab trying to get into Katelyn's room to "see" the bird. I made Found signs and we put them up around the neighborhood. Two days later Tom is home and no one had called on the bird. We had a full slate that weekend and I kept hoping the owner's would see the signs and call. No Luck! So we announced it at the Elder's quorum party that Friday night, at the ward Humanitarian Day Saturday morning, and in Priesthood and Relief Society on Sunday. Still no owners. I might have caved in to my children, who now thought the bird was cool, and bought a cage but I was now sick. I had a sore show up on the left side of my face on Thursday and by Sunday it was throbbing, and painful, and swollen to the point that I had a hard time opening my mouth. I went to the urgent care on Sunday afternoon and was told that I had a MRSA Staph infection. They put me on antibiotics and pain killer and told me to follow up with a doctor during the week. On Wednesday I went to a Dermatologist who confirmed the diagnoses and changed 1 antibiotic and put me on 2 more!!! They did a culture and said they would call and let me know if I could stop taking any of the medicine. Fast forward one week and I'm MRSA free, but my guts aren't happy with me! The bird has now gone to live at a neighbor's house that already had lots of birds and made new bird friends. I haven't taken down the signs yet, but still no owner. The girl's are a little sad but they know "Perky" is much happier. The month ended and I went back to volunteering at the school. I had taken last week off so I wouldn't infect the kids. Clairese just came in to inform me that there is a lizard in the family room on the wall! Oh, the joy of living in the desert!!! I'll chase this "friend" out of the house. I wouldn't know how to explain this one to Tom!



1 comment:

Kyleen and Brent said...

Uh, looks painful!Hey I've tagged you on my blog, check it out!